Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thank you, Ms. Alcott

While spending another week mostly in bed recovering from oral surgery, I distracted myself from the intense pain by listening to all 18 hours and 45 minutes of the audiobook, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Why had I never read this book?! I don't think any young woman should graduate from childhood without it's wonderful influence on their heart and mind. Unlike Elsie Dinsmore, the four girls in this satisfyingly long volume are true to life, with squabbles and foibles that reminded me much of the three little women under my care. Even good little Beth can be imagined to have been a real girl (especially considering they had no TV to compete with their parents' loving and wise direction).

One of my favorite parts of the story is the scene of boisterous Jo having a deep talk with her mother about getting to know God in her own relationship. I was inspired by the concluding statement about this young teenage girl, "...she had drawn nearer to the Friend who always welcomes every child with a love stronger than that of any father, tenderer than that of any mother." Surely this ought to be the goal of my parenting! May I learn to love and guide my daughters to know this Friend well and to find their identity in His love for them.


Perhaps you'd be inspired as well as entertained by revisiting this classic novel this year. Audiobooks are a wonderful way to spend commutes, choretime, or crafting hours. I just hope you won't need them to distract you from pain as I did this week!


Do you have a favorite scene or quote from Little Women?


No comments:

Post a Comment