About Me

My photo


Come sit a spell at my Tree Pickings blog or visit the mainpage tree pickings.blogspot.com to get to know the family.

Welcome to my piece of the net! My blog is how I hope to keep in touch with my family, our friends, and the wonderful folks who take an interest in us. I'll share my musings on our family, our ministry, "Arbol de Vida" ("Tree of Life"), as well as from my copious readings of many genres.

I live in Torreon, Mexico since December 2008. I'm an avid reader and knitter, enjoy sewing, and have gotten my share of compliments on my cooking. My husband Chuy and I love challenging each other to a game of Scrabble and my daughters enjoy me reading aloud to them (well, two out of three, do).


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Body

Care for a bowl of this delicious soup? I made just a little variation on my regular recipe, and it was a real hit. All but one member, who happened to be the youngest, didn't even mind eating it twice this week. [For the second serving, I boiled 3 more chicken quarters and added the pulled meat straight to the pot.]
         I began by boiling 3 chicken quarters in about 4 quarts of lightly salted water, and when they were very tender, I took them out to cool. Later these were de-boned and divided into the 5 soup bowls. I then added 4 small potatoes, 3 chopped carrots and 2 carrots cut lengthwise only, half an onion (not chopped), 3 stalks of celery, a small head of brocoli, 3 small zucchini, a good portion of cabbage in 1 inch squares, and 2 whole tomatoes. By timing the addition of the veggies, you can get the harder vegetables tender and the more delicate one just right. In the blender I pureed the tomatoes after the skins had burst, the long carrot pieces, the onion and whatever veggies came with the ladle. After pouring it into the pot, I put about a cup or more of water and a half cup of flour into the blender to thoroughly mix it. Now that the vegetables were soft, I added the flour and let it simmer another minute or two and it all thickened very nicely. I love the deep color the tomatoes take on after being simmered a few minutes. To my "shame", I have to admit to succumbing to temptation: I added two chicken bouillon cubes. Because of msg, I rarely use them. Do you think all the veggie goodness made up for my transgression?

No comments:

Post a Comment